Hypothyroidism Success Stories
For the first time in my adult life, I can truly say that I’m WELL! After so many years of suffering and diminished quality of life, I believe that we have finally gotten the upper hand over Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS). Let me give you a quick background so that you can appreciate the amount of progress that I experienced particularly under the care of Shasta Tierra: I was “officially” diagnosed with CFS back in 1990, but I had been feeling “unwell” several years prior to the CFS diagnosis. After 1990, things got worse: Symptoms of great fatigue totally debilitated me; I also experienced serious cognitive problems (memory) and menstrual problems; I had a pale/bluish appearance, was skinny, and always cold (I mean COLD). I ached everywhere (muscles, bones, even my skin and scalp), and THIS WAS NOT ALL IN MY HEAD (a comment I heard from some very unenlightened mainstream physicians). There were times where my fatigue was so severe that I could not drag myself to the bathroom, cook, or Barr/mononucleosis (regular tests showed that my titers were off the charts for ten years), hypothyroidism, and arthritis. I have now no doubt that all of these problems were interrelated and manifestations of the same medical problem. I was so sick! My husband and people close to me thought I was going to die within a year. There were times when I thought that too… After I soon realized that orthodox medicine had no clue about this and was actually going to make things worse with steroid and antibiotic treatments, I tried to fight this terrible condition myself with alternative approaches. Some helped a little like regular B12 shots. Some helped a lot like having all of my mercury fillings taken out (which made an immediate improvement). But overall, the condition lingered on; I went through so many ups and downs. I learned to live with drastically diminished expectations of life! – Jocelyne
Energy, Weight Loss, Decreased Stomach Ache with Hasimotot’s hypohyrioidism
I had plantar fasciitis for months, it was painful to walk, and went to and went to Shasta for treatment. It has helped tremendously. I also suffer from hypothyroidism and she has helped me get more energy and sleep better. She listens well and is very knowledgeable. Also her staff is very friendly. I would highly recommend her to anyone who has pain related issues and especially for women with thyroid related problems.
I’m well – that’s the first time I’ve said that…12/22/97
It feels like paradise.
The accomplishment is finally shaking this chronic fatigue syndrome I’ve had since 1987. Symptoms of great fatigue, menstrual problems, pale, skinny, and just not feeling well. My fatigue was so severe I could not drag myself to the bathroom, cook, or work, and I was achy everywhere.. I was officially diagnosed with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue, and had regular ebstein barr virus tests that were off the charts for ten years. I also had hypothyroidism. My husband thought I was going to die. There were times when I thought it was hopeless.
Now, for the first time in my life I can say I have energy enough to workout, work long hours, cook and about 90% normal life. I tried a lot of things, some helped a little, like the B12 shots and getting the mercury fillings taken out which made an immediate improvement).
How acupuncture and Chinese Medicine helped me is it taught me to listen. I always felt cold and was even told my skin looked blue, and this was never taken seriously by Western Medicine. I was debilitated by the cold. Now I’m warm and when I do feel cold, I know what to do, and the cold and pain go away. What Shasta has taught me is a lot of good information on nutrition, hormones, alternatives, etc. for my specific imbalances and they really work.
It is also very important to have a healer who takes an interest in the patient. I look forward to seeing her and getting the needles. Lastly, I cannot stress enough the importance of a supportive spouse. My husband was and is 100% supportive, never getting annoyed when I wasn’t well. He helped me, he cooked and cleaned for years Education is key, and Shasta has been a good coach with Chinese Medicine, and put me on the right track.
There are no words that can describe how much you have helped me regain my self esteem and image back from being asleep for years. For the first time in quite a few years I have been able to work in the back yard and not have my allergies act up!! For a long time I have had bouts of asthma which now I have had very little with the herbs and treatments you have given me. One thing that really gets to me now is when I hear people complaining about different ailments I have to stop myself from telling them that it can be helped with acupuncture. When I first came in I was overloaded with alcohol, caffeine, prescription drugs and sugar. I weighed about 160 pounds, had hot flashes, lots of gas and bloating, had a persistent cough from smoking for 20 years, muscles cramps, finger joint pain, anxiety, palpitations, back pain, felt cold, was dry and thirsty, itchy painful red eyes, lots of food cravings, stress, and severe hay fever and asthma. I’m off the coffee, sugar, cut way back on my prescriptions and most all of these symptoms have subsided and/or disappeared. I’ve lost between 17 and 20 pounds which has been stabilized for three months now!! This was a six month treatment program. Seven months after starting acupuncture during a treatment I felt a strong electrical sensation around my ear and woke up two days later with MY HEARING BACK!! I initially came in to treat my menier’s disease (which I’ve had since I was 7), and wasn’t sure if acupuncture would help, but I’ve taken out my hearing aid and have my hearing back.
I am very excited and grateful for Chinese Medicine and even though I don’t understand it all of the time, I still have gotten great results and feelings from it.
Before & After
1. Date began treatments – 8/2003
2. Date completed treatments – 11/2003
3. My primary complaint was a loss of my menses (amennhorea). I had not had a period in about a year and a half and I was growing more and more concerned about its effect on my health. I had seen Western doctors, but they said they could only offer me birth control in the hopes that it would “jump-start” a regular cycle. I was losing faith that my body could take care of itself, but I wasn’t ready to manufacture something that should have been natural.
4. My secondary complaints were that I was always cold, fatigued, anxious, depressed, my hair was falling out, I had a sudden increase in my cholesterol levels, and I just felt “off” for most of my 20’s.
5. During my first meeting with Shasta, she suggested that I might be hypothyroid. I was surprised because I had often thought that I might be hypothyroid, but my TSH tests always came back “normal.” Shasta asked me to bring back my test results the following visit. During that second visit, she was quick to point out the information that confirmed that I may have thyroid issues. For the first time in my life, I felt relieved and affirmed. Shasta has an amazing ability to carefully listen to what you are saying and to talk to you in a manner that makes you know that she will do everything in her ability to help you. For the first time in 10 years, I felt like I wasn’t crazy, perhaps there really was something wrong with me! Shasta encouraged me to get extensive thyroid blood work done, and I did, only to find out that some of my levels were “normal.” I was crushed. Even more crushed when I went to Kaiser and the endocrinologist basically told me that I was a hypochondriac. I began to really think I was a hypochondriac, which didn’t do much for my depression. I stopped treatments shortly after that (due to my crazy school schedule).
Once I stopped treatments, my depression became more severe. I was also seeing a therapist at the time and I was on the verge of going on anti-depressants. After a few months of not seeing Shasta, I began getting an influx of phone calls from her. Every call began with, “Hi, this is Shasta, and I just want to check in on you. I am convinced you are hypothyroid and you need to see another doctor…” Eventually I called Shasta back and she convinced me to try thyroid medication before anti-depressants. I figured I had nothing to lose, and that spending a little money was worth it, if it would give me a life back.I visited the doctor that Shasta recommended and I immediately went on Armour thyroid medication. Within a week, I felt much better. I have been on medication for over a month and the difference is VERY noticeable. Coworkers, friends, and family have all noticed that I am back to my old self. I have energy to live and I am no longer cold all the time. I am convinced that Shasta is the advocate who is responsible for giving me my life back. Even when I gave up on myself, she never gave up on me.
On another note, my primary complaint was resolved within one month of treatments! I regained my regular cycle within just a few treatments! Needless to say, I am convinced that acupuncture works and I have recommended Shasta to everyone I know.
Thank you Shasta, for being such a wonderful advocate!