1. Date began treatments – 8/2003
2. Date completed treatments – 11/2003
3. My primary complaint was a loss of my menses (amennhorea). I had not had a period in about a year and a half and I was growing more and more concerned about its effect on my health. I had seen Western doctors, but they said they could only offer me birth control in the hopes that it would “jump-start” a regular cycle. I was losing faith that my body could take care of itself, but I wasn’t ready to manufacture something that should have been natural.
4. My secondary complaints were that I was always cold, fatigued, anxious, depressed, my hair was falling out, I had a sudden increase in my cholesterol levels, and I just felt “off” for most of my 20’s.
5. During my first meeting with Shasta, she suggested that I might be hypothyroid. I was surprised because I had often thought that I might be hypothyroid, but my TSH tests always came back “normal.” Shasta asked me to bring back my test results the following visit. During that second visit, she was quick to point out the information that confirmed that I may have thyroid issues. For the first time in my life, I felt relieved and affirmed. Shasta has an amazing ability to carefully listen to what you are saying and to talk to you in a manner that makes you know that she will do everything in her ability to help you. For the first time in 10 years, I felt like I wasn’t crazy, perhaps there really was something wrong with me! Shasta encouraged me to get extensive thyroid blood work done, and I did, only to find out that some of my levels were “normal.” I was crushed. Even more crushed when I went to Kaiser and the endocrinologist basically told me that I was a hypochondriac. I began to really think I was a hypochondriac, which didn’t do much for my depression. I stopped treatments shortly after that (due to my crazy school schedule).
Once I stopped treatments, my depression became more severe. I was also seeing a therapist at the time and I was on the verge of going on anti-depressants. After a few months of not seeing Shasta, I began getting an influx of phone calls from her. Every call began with, “Hi, this is Shasta, and I just want to check in on you. I am convinced you are hypothyroid and you need to see another doctor…” Eventually I called Shasta back and she convinced me to try thyroid medication before anti-depressants. I figured I had nothing to lose, and that spending a little money was worth it, if it would give me a life back.I visited the doctor that Shasta recommended and I immediately went on Armour thyroid medication. Within a week, I felt much better. I have been on medication for over a month and the difference is VERY noticeable. Coworkers, friends, and family have all noticed that I am back to my old self. I have energy to live and I am no longer cold all the time. I am convinced that Shasta is the advocate who is responsible for giving me my life back. Even when I gave up on myself, she never gave up on me.
On another note, my primary complaint was resolved within one month of treatments! I regained my regular cycle within just a few treatments! Needless to say, I am convinced that acupuncture works and I have recommended Shasta to everyone I know.
Thank you Shasta, for being such a wonderful advocate!